I have to admit, I'm dragging my feet a bit on fall this year. Not because I don't love fall, but because winter comes next. If you remember, me and winter didn't exactly get a long last year:) But fall is certainly my favorite recipe season. Nate loves pumpkin pie and I found this one that uses a little less sugar and applesauce instead. He loves it.
Applesauce Pumpkin Pie
(New York Times, adapted from Little Pie Company Pies & Other Dessert Favorites, Wilkerson, Henly, Deraney, Righter)
Pastry for one 10 inch pie crust
1 1/2 cups canned or fresh pumpkin puree
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 large eggs
1/2 cup packed, dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9 inch pie shell with the pastry, making high fluted edge.
2. Mix the pumpkin, applesauce and eggs. In another bowl, mix the sugars, cinnamon, ginger, clove, and salt and stir into pumpkin mixture. Stir in evaporated milk and vanilla.
3. Pour the filling into the pastry lined pie pan, place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake for 45 minutes longer.
4. Cool to room temperature and serve with whipped cream.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment