I think when you are a parent of young children, it is easy to dwell on all the things that don't go exactly as planned. Which is 90% of life with kids. At least my kids. Or maybe it's even closer to 98% but who's keeping track. Point is, you are constantly blocking and tackling aganist the melt-down, the dramatic reactions, the hearing loss, and of course sibling rivalry. At least it feels like you are, but I have to challenge myself to think that we actually do this stuff 2% of the time and the rest of the time is pure familial bliss. Some days people, it does happen some days.
Nate has been doing so well in school. When I am asked by family and friends how he is doing, I gush about all his accomplishments. The standard response is, "Well, I'm not surprised." I wouldn't call my thoughts about his success a shocker, as he's always been an inquisitive child, but it is surprising to me that it brings so much reassurance. Reassurance that what we support at home really does point him in the right direction. We try as hard as we can and sometimes it feels like nothing is working. But it is. Surprisingly.
Nate's parent-teacher conference was this week. His teacher was so complimentary of him and said she was lucky to be his teacher. I could have cried right there on the spot, but I held it in. I try to pretend that I don't wear my feelings about my kids on my shoulders some times. But I do. I was relaying what she said to Scott (it's just not in the cards for both of us to attend right now) and he said, "Does this mean we are doing something right?" I guess so I said, I guess so.
The same can be said for Lila too. Her teachers (or any teacher) at her school are just in love with her. They always report how sweet she is and how they love to be around her. One of her teachers from last year is going to have her first baby in November. She hopes it will be on Lila's birthday and I won't be surprised if the little girl's name has something to do with Lila. How special and how flattering is that?
When I went to pick Lila up one day this week, she threw a tiny temper tantrum about putting on her coat. YIYA DO IT!!!!! she screams (so odd for us because Nate never wanted to do anything for himself at this age). Her teacher was aghast. I guess she doesn't do those things when I'm not there. And even though I could look at the situation and say well I'm not doing something right if she's throwing a fit at all, I chose to think, "I'm very glad she doesn't do this when I'm not here!"
The point is that we are very blessed to have 2 happy, healthy, flourishing children. And I need to not take them for granted while we are raising them up when sometimes it feels we are in the blocking and tackling abyss. We have done some things right, we do some things wrong every day too. These times of reassurance provide strength for those days that don't go so well. Parenthood is not for the faint of heart, so we'll keep on keeping on:)
No comments:
Post a Comment