Thursday, March 19, 2015

Calistoga / Napa Trip

Nate & Lila's Spring Break started on Friday, March 13th, so Scott & I decided to celebrate by taking a trip to Napa. Without the kids. Trust me, they were just as happy staying with my parents and getting to go to the cabin. 

We met up with our travel partners and dear friends, Ryan & Audra at the San Francisco airport. I had been stalking the weather, hoping it would not change to rain (I've never been to wine country when it wasn't raining). And we arrived to perfectly sunny, 70+ degree temperatures and I was a happy girl. 

We stayed at the Aurora Park Cottages in Calistoga, CA. Scott & I had stayed there back in 2008 and I was worried it wouldn't be the same. But it turned out to be just the same if not better. This was the view from our front porch. 

We started off Friday tours at August Briggs Winery, which is one of our favorites. They were kind enough to snap a picture of the 4 of us. Sometimes it doesn't seem possible that we met them almost 14 years ago in Nashville. 
I'm so thankful for both Ryan & Audra - it is good for my soul to spend several days catching up with them and solving all of life's problems.
I was very intent on soaking up all the sun I could. Many times, after the wine tasting was over, I would bolt out the door so I could get to the sun. At one winery, I had Scott switch seats with me so that I could be in the sun. And then I had 2 people come up to me asking if they could get me an umbrella. Um no. I'm from a colder climate. I like the sun. Like really really really like the sun.
It's always nice to just be adults for a few days!
Our group is comical at wineries. Not bad comical. Just comical. Some of us more than others:)
The views were gorgeous the entire time we were there. It was 82 degrees on this day. I was very happy.
The last stop we made was one of my favorites. It was a small winery and they took us out into the vineyards to talk about the plants that were planted in 1908. I thought it was amazing to see these old, ugly, gnarly vines that were still producing amazing fruit. Good lesson.
The Hayne Vineyard at Chase Cellars. 
Fabulous trip! Until next time, wherever that may be...


No comments: