Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Nate & the House Search

My sweet Nate has been in more than his fair share of houses in the past few months. Since he was home part-time over the summer, he dashed with me at lunch to meet our realtor on more than a few occasions. I've also visited several houses with both of the kids in tow without Scott. It's oh-so-much-fun, let-me-tell-ya. But sometimes you gotta do it.

Anyway, Nate has become quite the expert when it comes to looking at houses. He's learned exactly what usually makes us say no to a house. Since we live (and want to stay) in a community that's been around for a while, the houses are usually 100+ years old. If we get one that is say below 80, we consider that like almost new. It's all a matter of perspective.

So one day we're walking up to a house and he says, "Mom, this house looks great from the outside." I told him I agreed. He goes on to say, "But we'll have to see what the basement looks like. That's where ALL the problems are." Why yes, my real estate expert. I'd say he's seen more basements that he cares to remember.

We are off to see another house today and I was telling Nate about it yesterday. I told him I would miss him looking around with me. He thought for a moment. Then said, "Mom? If they have one of those papers with pictures on it, please bring it to me. I'll check it out and let you know what I think." Such a sweet boy not wanting to fall down on the job:)

As we enter our 7th month of looking around for another house in our school district, it can get discouraging because sometimes it feels like we are unrealistic in our expectations of our next house. But I remind myself that we do not have to move. We would like to move. We are not unhappy in our current house and location by any means. We would simply like a tad more space if possible. So I feel at peace that when the right house comes along, we'll know it. And until then, we'll just be thankful that we have a house:)

1 comment:

Jane-Ellis Griggs said...

Nate has a good eye! Make sure he approves ;) xxoo je