Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Getaway & Snow

My Mom has always wanted to go to the Biltmore in North Carolina, so over President's Day weekend, we made the trek to that part of the country with Sarah and her mom, Cathie in tow. It was a fabulous ladies weekend! 

We started out our trip by swinging through East Tennessee, to Etowah, the hometown of the DeLaney family (my Grandpa, my Mom's Dad). This was my dear Aunt Mil's house (my Grandpa's sister). I grew up visiting her and my Uncle Bob here, and spent many a day sitting on that front porch or rolling down that very hill. I loved seeing the house again, it brings back so many happy memories for me. And for my Mom, she also grew up going to see Aunt Mil here. It was wonderful to reminisce and I'm so thankful that Sarah & Cathie humored all of our stories! 
Then it was on Asheville, after a harrowing stretch of road into the mountains at night. Even though it was chilly, I kept turning on the vent because I was sweating while trying to keep us safe on all the curves! 

Saturday morning, we headed to the Biltmore House. It was gorgeous of course and I loved going through it again (Scott & I went back in 2006). After touring the house and exhibits, we tasted some wine in their winery, which was ever so much fun. 
We were supposed to stay Sunday night too, but when we woke up and checked the weather for Tennessee & Missouri, we decided we'd better get the heck out of dodge before we got stuck somewhere. So we drove back to Missouri (and Cathie & I back to STL) on Sunday. It was a long day, but after my parents got at least 9 inches of snow at their house and Nashville got covered in ice, we were so glad we made that decision.

We only got about 4 inches at our house, if that, but the kids enjoyed playing in it and making a snowman.
 Now it's just bitter cold and we are ready for SPRING!!

No comments: