Sunday, August 26, 2012

Apple Picking in August

Hard to believe we are picking apples in August, but the spring & summer have been so warm that they are ready a little early. We took advantage of the breezy morning to head out to Eckerts in Belleville, IL to pick some Golden Delicious apples.

Nate was happy to go - mostly because he remembers making carmel apples in years past.

Lila is generally happy to go just about anywhere. She especially liked the wagon ride you take out to the orchards. Although I had to hold her down for most of the ride.

Nate is trying so hard, again, to get a picture. Almost too hard:)

Lila helped herself to a few apples. I had to really watch which ones she was picking up. She was attracted to the rotten ones. I hope that's not foreshadowing!

Nate is so sweet to her, really. She's the one that pushes him away most often. I hope she'll let him protect her one day:)

I wanted her to go hug him, but she wasn't having it. So I told her to go poke him. Off she went like lightning. Thankfully he thought it was funny.

They were champion apple pickers. I have more apples than I know what to do with...just today we made caramel apples and an apple crisp. Guess I'll be searching for more apple recipes tonight.

This was the MOM - QUIT TAKING MY PICTURE look.

If I were a professional, I wouldn't have gotten the leaf right on her mouth. But I still think she's cute. Wearing her strawberry dress to go pick apples. If I would have purchased an apple dress, we would never have made it to apple picking this year. So we made due with strawberries. I think it worked.

1 comment:

Jane-Ellis Griggs said...

I've seen that look! I've seen that look! That - quick taking my picture look. Hmmmmm. Who was it again? Wish my photo albums weren't in storage.