One more post about Kindergarten...mainly because I want to be able to look back at the blog book and read how about I was feeling when Kindergarten was behind us for Nate.
Nate was full of excitement when he started school last fall. I was excited for him. I guess. I mean, not really. Kindergarten was something I knew we had to do, but I didn't really want to do it. Even though Nate had been in an organized school setting for several years, I knew Kindergarten would be different. And it was.
The teachers were so welcoming but expected much more of Nate than I thought he could handle. But I was wrong of course. He fell right into the routine of doing more things for himself, being quiet when he was supposed to and learning more than I could have ever imagined. Even if he did have to ask on the 3rd day, "Mom, what exactly is a single file line?" I mean I guess if no one ever told you, how would you know?
Throughout the year, we saw a transformation in Nate. He started becoming confident about his reading and math skills. And confident about approaching people and speaking up. And making new friends. Even though he's still a regular chick magnet. I like to think that's because he's just so sensitive. Like me. hahaha.
He started off the year thrilled to have homework. Let's just say at the end we were both ready for it to end. I'm actually a little shocked that they really did carry this whole thing about homework for Kindergarteners for the entire year. They are serious about some learning, I'll give em that.
From field trips, school assemblies, cafeteria lunches, and music concerts to end of the quarter tests, school nurse visits, and figuring out not everyone has the same values as you, Nate took so many "experiences without us" in stride. We are proud of the classroom citizen he was, earning much respect from his teacher and classmates.
On the last day of school, I was sad. I asked Nate if I could cry. He said no. I might have anyway.
Nate was not sad. As he so eloquently put it, "Mom, we get to do it all over again next year." You're right sweet boy. As you usually are.
No comments:
Post a Comment