Sunday, July 16, 2017

Paris: Day 2

We got up early on Day 2 in Paris because we had some paintings to see! We hopped on the Metro and headed towards the Louvre. But first, breakfast at Le Pan Quotidien. It was yummy and I recently heard it was one of Nate's favorite parts of our trip...because it was near one of the places where Thomas Jefferson lived when he was Minister to France. I had briefly mentioned this when we were there but I didn't even know he was listening! 
After breakfast, Emily, Scott, Nate, Lila & I went to the Louvre. We thought Sunday morning would be a good time to go in order to avoid the crowds and it was! Of course, we could have spent hours upon hours here, but we had Lila in tow and all the paintings start to look the same to her after a while. Nate loved it all and it makes my heart so happy that he appreciates art. He asked so many questions and it is always a highlight for me as a parent to get to share part of the world with him.
We had really been talking up the Mona Lisa to Lila...before the trip, on the trip, up and down all of the days. When we finally found it (it is quite hard to find in the museum, even with a map!), she looks up and says, "That's it?? It's so small." Then she proceeded to have a string of questions about Who SHE was? Why was SHE famous? Why don't they know who SHE is?  To say that she didn't get it is an understatement. Ha! I told her she'll have lots to write about in her first grade journal this next year.
Nate & I in front of the Mona Lisa? Priceless. This picture of me? Not priceless.
We toured as much of the museum as we could, seeing the Roman sculptures was a highlight.
Lila was really so funny the whole time we were there. In the sculptures, she kept asking "Why is EVERYONE NAKED??" Sigh. I didn't prep myself for how to handle 6-year old questions in the Louvre. Thankfully I won't have to do it again. Ha!
After the Louvre, we met back up with Ben, Bluet & Ilona for lunch. My oh my, I love these nieces of mine. It was so special to get to be in France (and Switzerland!) with them.
This crepe place was on a corner near the apartments where we stayed. They had a small dining room, but it was warm that day, so they just pulled the tables out in the street (it was somewhat of a dead end for cars). We loved it! Lila had a Nutella crepe (this is after she had chocolate spread on bread for breakfast...all the chocolate!)
The crew! Such an amazing day with amazing people!
It was Father's Day, so we had to get a picture of Scott & the kids. Pretty spectacular Father's Day if I do say so myself!
Before we left for the train, we had one more stop, the Sacre-Coeur (the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris). It was in our neighborhood and was simply gorgeous (and was also approximately 9,456 steps up to the hill where it sits...working off that Nutella!) We were glad we made the time to check it out. 
One more picture before heading to the train, this was the door to our cute little apartment. Bye Paris! We can't wait to go back!

No comments: