It occurred to me that I don't think I've done an "after" post on our kitchen, that was completed...ahem...almost a year ago. If I did, I'm too lazy to go back and find it:) So one day a few months ago, when the kitchen was super clean, I took some pictures. Too bad it's taken me until now to post them..ahem.
Here is a before picture of the sink view. I wish I had been better about taking good before comparison pictures.
And here is the after of this same area. We still really like how it turned out. We wanted to go as light as possible because it is a small space, but still have some elements that make it cozy. I think we accomplished this simple vision.
New window, sink, counter tops, beadboard backsplash and cabinets. This is the other wall of the kitchen. New stove, backsplash, and microwave. We gained this cabinet and drawer stack to the right side of the stove. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it makes a huge difference in the efficiency of the space.
The fridge was probably our biggest disappointment of the remodel. We wanted a larger side by side fridge. But unfortunately, there is a sort of half wall behind the fridge space that limits what will go there. In the end, we decided not to bust it out because like just about everything in ~100 year old houses, it would have been a can of worms. So we got the nicest fridge that would fit. It looks dorm sized in these pictures, but it's full size and has worked out just fine.
I tried a panoramic. I'm really not that good at it! But you get the idea.
Here is a before picture of the breakfast room, as we call it.
And here is the after. New cabinets, island top and stools. It has really turned out to be so useful. (still looking for something for the wall. I've been very indecisive about this part!)
If you haven't lived in this house for almost 9 years, then you might walk in this room and say that the island is too big for the room. But those of us that have lived here that long think it is exactly what we needed!
One of the corners of this room houses our wine fridge and the calendar. And a box on top of the wine fridge because it tends to be a clutter spot. So at least the clutter is now in a box.
The other corner is our information center and sometimes art work presentation area. Who knew Pac Man could teach such good leassons? Two is better than one.
To the left of this little area is our art supply closet now. I did not take a picture because it was probably a mess that day. As it is most days. (except today, I cleaned it up yesterday!)
We did not do the floor. I think we made a good call. The mess alone would have complicated matters tremendously. It's not my absolute favorite floor but it looks fine with what we've done.
So that's it! Is it a big, expansive kitchen? No. No, it's not. But with the updates, it is much more efficient that we notice the lack of space a little less. Even though it was painful, I think we would both say we would do it all over again. We learned so much and feel more prepared should we have to do a renovation on another house in the future!
1 comment:
Its beautiful, and I love the colors. I also like how the calendar and the wine fridge are arranged together. How appropriate!
Post a Comment