Friday, September 5, 2014

On Your Mark, Get Set, Go!

I decided to purge the closet that is in my office this week. I keep nearly everything that is associated with my work and since I work out of my home, that means I get to store it at home too. It's not always a good plan. So I purged and purged to make some more space. 

While I was purging, I found a manila folder that said "Abatha" on the front in my Mom's handwriting. I guess she'd given it to me a while back, because I didn't have any recollection of what was inside. I opened it to find report cards, all of my awards from high school, and newspaper clippings. Along with my mementos, there were also some of Emily's and Hamil's. I guess they didn't make it in their folders. Sorry guys. But since I keep everything, so you shouldn't be worried. 

One of Emily's mementos was a written copy of the speech she made at her high school graduation. The print is faded and the paper is tattered, so I know it was the one she held when she was giving the speech. I only vaguely remembered it, even though I was there, so I was excited to read and remember her thoughts.  I am so touched by her words and so impressed to realize how real they are even today. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing...

On Your Mark, Get Set, Go
Emily Corse, Salutatorian 
May 25th, 1993

In my senior English class, we read an essay about a month ago that really fits this occasion. It was called, "Where the World Began." In it, the author, Margaret Laurence, described that small Canadian prairie town in which she grew up. Her point was that no matter how far away from there she traveled or how much recognition she got for her work, that little prairie town would always influence her because it was her first view of the world. The essay seemed appropriate for us to read before graduation because here, in this town with one stoplight, is where our world began. Like Margaret Laurence, our lives will forever be affected by where we started out. We will always have a connection with each other because we have grown up together and shared many experiences that will shape our lives. 

This moment can be compared to the beginning of a long distance race. The training has been difficult, and I know there were times when we all thought we would never get to the point where we are now. We have worked so hard, and finally we are stepping up to the starting line, nervously anticipating the fire of the gun. This isn't really a race to see who finishes first, though, or one in which there are losers. The important thing is to keep going, even when it hurts. 

I want to encourage everyone to stay in the race, and wish you good luck!

On your mark, get set, GO! 

The bolded text is so true. Thank you Emily for reminding me today! 

No comments: