Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Truman Faces the Dryer (And Wins!)

When I picked out Truman on that hot day back in August, my aunt Lee told me that he was the feistiest one in the litter. He was so little and sweet that I thought that we could surely handle it. I'm rethinking my confidence. 
I know that our Kitty P was feisty, but I don't remember her being as relentless as Truman seems to be. We have to close him up in his basement quarters (jail, as we call it) when we just can't take anymore of the biting and scratching. When he's after Lila, or her breakfast, she shouts "We're gonna send you back to Lee's!!" We know he'll get better, so we just keep trying to love him. He lets us sometimes. For about 2 minutes after he wakes up from a nap.

So. I have to tell a little story on myself that involves Truman. Last weekend, I was switching over the laundry in the basement and I thought to myself...I need to be careful about the dryer and I need to remind Scott to be careful too. I don't know why this thought occurred to me. I have never worried about it before, even when KP was little.

I went on about my day. Forgot to tell Scott. And forgot all about it really. When it was time to switch the laundry again, I did and ran back upstairs. I was talking to Nate and I heard a ker-thunk, ker-thunk, ker-thunk coming from the dryer. Uh-huh, yes.

I said out loud, "I don't remember putting a tennis shoe in the dryer? Oh well." Continued to go about my business for 1-2 minutes. Uh-huh, yes again.

Then I had to run downstairs to get something for one of the kids. Time elapsed: 3-4-5 minutes. I decided to see what was in the dryer.

It was Truman.

I took one look at his dizzy stare and his tongue hanging out and went screaming upstairs. Scott dashed back down and got him out of the dryer. Since his tongue was hanging out, we thought it would be good to offer him water. So we did. And Scott rubbed cold water all over him.

He was stunned to say the least. But as soon as his tongue went back in his mouth (it took at least an hour), we started to see signs of our beloved Truman. He then slept for 16 hours straight and has been back to normal since. Worse than normal if you ask me. I was hoping the spin in the dryer mellowed him out. But no such luck.

So we will remember September 29th as the day Mom almost killed Truman. Right before she was leaving to go out of town. Thank goodness cats have 9 lives.

No comments: