Monday, February 25, 2013

The Day I Was Smarter Than A Meteorologist

I spent Thursday afternoon on I-64. Yes, I was one of those people. The ones that thought they were smarter than the meteorologists.  You see, my boss comes into town like once a year and of course it was Thursday. I knew it was going to be a fab day when Nate's school called me on Wednesday night  saying that they had canceled school for the next day. Awesome, I say out loud. First time in 2 years. She would have been totally understanding but I sort of had a few things I needed to discuss so I wanted to make it happen. Scott was working and I just knew everyone else that could possibly watch Nate would be in the same predicament (Lila's school is never closed because they care for doctor, nurse and pharmacist:) children.) The Peach fam to the rescue as even the colleges were closed. Clue? Maybe. But off Nate and Lila went with me on my way to the airport for pickup service. No precip at this time, a somewhat nice day even.

My passenger in tow, we headed west of the city about 20 minutes. I promise I watched the snow and the speed of the cars moving on the road outside as my cue for leaving. When it was about 4 hours until I had to get Lila, I called it a day and started to head back to town. The side roads were not good but I just knew the interstate would be better. I mean the news outlets had been talking about this storm for days. So they were prepared, right?  I was wrong. Way bad wrong. Big misunderstanding on my part that they can actually plow the roads before the snow falls.

After dropping my passenger off at her hotel, I drove about a mile on I-64 when traffic came to a halt. We were at the bottom of hill. I was calm, turned my Bluetooth on and called my mom. We talked for a bit, she worried, I put her off, she worried some more and then told me be really safe. I politely responded that I was super safe right that moment because I wasn't moving at all. She conjured up a situation where the car next to me could lose traction and hit me. Ok, I say. Point taken. Finally cars in front of me were moving so I hung up and started up the hill. While I was worrying about making it over the hill, I watched a semi flood his rig so much it smelled like fire. Then a man next to me got out of his car to take a swig from a flask.  I thought that was a super good idea and made a mental note to add that to my stuck-on-the-interstate snow survival kit.

I made it over the hill. Barely. And heard that the area had been declared a state of emergency. I think that's pure awesomeness. On the other side of the hill was more waiting. Mucho waiting. Scott calls. I tell him I don't think I'm going to make it to get Lila - we decide he will go get her and take her to the Peach's. He tells me they closed the interstate. That's funny. I think I'm on it.

I watch desperately as time stands still on the hill at Maryland Centre with a jack knifed Coca-Cola tractor trailer and 12 cars stranded on the incline. For a moment, or actually many moments, I felt claustrophobic because I could see no way out of this mess. I kept telling my mom that if a plow would just back down the on-ramp and plow back up, we could make some progress. I felt stupid for being there, like really stupid. But I was invested now. Remain calm. Do not cry. That never works. I cry. And tell my mom to watch me on TV because the cameramen are camped out on the overpass filming me. Ok, not me. I wish. But the fools that won't get off the flipping hill so I can get on with it.

Then it happens.

A plow backs down the on ramp and plows it back up. Over and over again. Just like I said. I swear I'm going to be an efficiency consultant in my next life. Then the heavens open up and two industrial size plows come and do more good. And about 5 good Samaritans in wool overcoats and ties push people that get stuck. I'm about to be free.

As I pull through the rescue brigade I say a big thank you to those men. They were heroes that day. Without them I still might be out there (or in Tower Grove park where I also got stuck and had to be saved this weekend). My faith in humanity has been restored for now.

I finally make it to the Peach house. A normally 20 minute trip took 3.5 hours.

And guess what? My kids are not glad to see me nor do they want to come home with me.

Glad I rushed home.

1 comment:

Jane-Ellis Griggs said...

Oh, sweet Abatha! I had no idea! How awful. I am so sorry that you were stuck and in such a dangerous situation. I am so glad the good samaritans and plows headed your way. Love, JE