When Nate was a little boy, we weren't around a pool as much as we are now. So he was slow to love the water. I wondered if he would ever be comfortable and worried that he wouldn't be. And part of me couldn't understand it, because I can't ever remember not loving to swim.
Over the past couple of years, Nate has grown to love the water. Since we know he would make a great athlete, but we haven't exactly found something he'd like to do athletically, we decided to make swim team a goal for him.
I thought about having him join the swim team last summer, but just did not think he was quite ready yet. I wonder if my Mom thought the same thing when she joined me up at the age of 4. Probably not. She was probably just looking for somewhere for me to go for an hour so she could have some peace and quiet. I get it. And I loved it. And it kept me busy for a good many years after that. It was a win-win.
But since we decided not to do swim team last year, we've all been on a quest to get Nate ready for this coming summer. He is much like me when it comes to sports. Not very competitive. But I've been telling him about my experiences as a swimmer and all the reasons I think he is like me and all the reasons that means he might like swimming. He loves these conversations for sure.
I told him that although you are part of a team, you are really in competition with yourself and your own times. And that you don't have to hear people cheering for you or talking to you while you are racing. You get in the water and do your thing. And when you get out, it's over.I did have to tell him about that one parent that I could hear underwater. PULL (Insert a girls name here) PULL. Oh that poor girl that was my relay teammate. She died of embarrassment. I told Nate that would probably be me. Let's face it. It probably will be.
To prepare him, he's been in swimming classes for the past few weeks and will take a few more before this summer. He loves it and has begun swimming laps when Scott takes them to the pool. He's been there the last 4 days in a row. I'm so proud.
I hope he loves swim team.
I love that he smells like chlorine.
I really hope he loves it.
And if he doesn't, that's OK too.
No comments:
Post a Comment